At Taeaomanino we provide confidential, quality and primary drug counselling to clientele, especially to Pacific people and their families who are residing in Wellington, Porirua and Kapiti Coast. Our services are free of charge. We are interested in getting you the help you need and will do our very best to help you.
Our service aim is to:
- Promote responsible use of alcohol
- Reduce health risks, crime and social disruption associated with the inappropriate use of alcohol and or drugs
- Enable families and communities to gain control over their health and improve it by limiting the harmful use of alcohol and drugs
- Reduce excessive consumption of alcohol and drugs, and their associated injuries, violence and other harm it causes. Particularly on roads, in workplaces, in and around drinking environments and at home
- Assist with providing progress reports to the courts
Our overall objective is to confront the service user in a non-threatening but honest way and allow them to see their self-destructive behaviour and how it affects themselves, family and friends. This is done with strict confidentiality, in a clear and respectful way, with empathy and support.
The Four stages of our AOD interventions:
- The initial referral – Families or friends, agency or workplace, or the potential service user make the initial call or referral to TT AOD Service (please use the form on our ‘contact us’ page). Referrals can be sent to: email@example.com. Alternatively, please call for an assessment for your situation: (04) 2376062.
- The pre-intervention – Once we receive your referral, the referral will be recorded and assessed against our service entry criteria. If it satisfies our entry criteria, it will be allocated to the most appropriate AOD counsellor who will organise to meet with the service user. We will contact you to arrange an inital face-to-face meeting with one of our highly trained and qualified counsellors.
- The intervention – This includes rapport building, AOD comprehensive assessment, care plan formulation, intervention, discharge, refer on to other services within and outside of TT. We work with you from an eclectic approach where the most appropriate models are employed to achieve the service user’s goals. We offer a minimum of 8–12 sessions. Some of the commonly used models we use include: Te Whare Tapa Wha, Fonofale, Sei Tapu, Motivational Interviewing, Client Centred Practice, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Existential Therapy, Solution Focus, Systemic therapy, and Narrative Therapy.
- Post intervention: Our aftercare plan helps you to get connected to the appropriate resources and external services to help you build support. Our AOD counsellor will stay connected with you and ensure you are supported well when exiting our services.